Civil Engineering Apprentice
Dependent on experience – starting salary circa £18,000 per annum
London, SE1 Permanent whilst in study
Summary of role:
Clarkebond are looking for an enthusiastic apprentice to join their team in the London office. This role would suit somebody with an interest in construction and engineering and an ambition to progress onto higher education. Ideally you will have already or are due to complete your BTEC Level 3 in Construction and the Built Environment in the summer of 2023.
This is an exciting opportunity for an apprentice to get real work-based experience on site as well as developing report writing skills and technical knowledge. You will enjoy a hands-on approach and be interested in developing expertise in restoring and repairing historic buildings, and developing unique engineering solutions for existing buildings or structures such as multi-storey car parks.
You will work on a range of projects primarily in the London area and occasionally around the UK including iconic listed buildings and benefit guidance from our team of engineers who are leading experts in their field. Previous buildings we have been involved in include and not limited to The Royal Exchange, Barkers Centre, Shell Mex House and The Law Society Building.
You will attend college / University on a day release basis in order to undertake BEng Civil Engineering.
- Attend site visits in order to inspect and investigate building defects (e.g. water ingress cracks, steel corrosion)
- Take photographs and notes whilst on site
- Undertake Forensic/Investigative work or projects
- Compile site investigation reports. You will use MS Office to compile photographs and technical notes in line with professional standards (i.e. grammar, punctuation, consistency, layout) and as expected by our clients
- Attend client meetings under the supervision of the Principal Structural Investigative Engineer
- Under guidance from senior Engineers, write specifications for remedial works
- Undertake archiving and filing
- Use TEDDS and AutoCAD to produce drawings, where required
- Develop an understanding of specifications, materials science and repairing structures
You will be supervised by senior engineers as you develop your knowledge, what is essential above all else is curiosity about the built environment.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum of two A levels including A2 Mathematics with a minimum C grade OR Level 3 BTEC qualification in the Construction and the Built Environment (or similar)
- Five GCSE’s including Mathematics and English at A-C or grade 4 and above
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- A good eye for detail
- A curious mind and a strong desire to learn and develop
- A willingness to work outside on site, including ascending scaffolding etc in order to gain further understanding of building construction
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- This is a role that will require a split between office based and site based work and candidates must therefore be willing to travel to site as required, for which expenses will be reimbursed, and to work outdoors where inspections require
- Ability to meet the entry requirements to enrol for Degree Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering
Closing Date: 28th April 2023