Principal Structural Engineer
£45,000-55,000 per annum (depending on experience) Exeter Permanent
As a result of growth in all areas of our business and a number of recent large exciting local project wins, we now require a Principal Structural Engineer to join our Exeter team.
This role would suit an individual who enjoys the variety of both private and public sector projects and can design in all the main construction materials. You will be providing the highest standards of design and delivering technically sound, sustainable and buildable solutions.
Assisting the Director to manage resources of the design group; assuming or delegating the role of Project Engineer and reviewing, checking and guiding more junior members of the team as necessary.
Duties will include:
- In accordance with the Brief and Quality Assurance procedures, produce the highest standards of design and client service within predetermined cost and time constraints.
- Undertake 3D Design, using finite elements analysis modelling and commercial design software. (use of Tekla and Revit would be an advantage).
- Review and check work produced by junior team members.
- Manage on a day to day basis all project operations required to fulfil the client brief.
- Attend client meetings to ensure project delivery as well as maintain and develop client relationships.
- Attend site visits to inspect the works in accordance with the Client’s brief and that accurate notes recording the visit are taken and filed.
- Assist the Directors to control cost and work programmes within the structural design group to achieve targeted profitability.
- Prepare fee proposals and monthly fee income projections and input and assist the financial management of the project.
- Monitor and record change and additional costs arising from alterations and amendments.
- Promote the development and motivation of staff within the structural design group.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) qualification.
- Membership of relevant professional body (IStructE or ICE). You may be working towards chartership status , have IEng status or already be chartered.
- UK construction industry design experience across a number of sectors.
- Good commercial awareness and client liaison experience.
- In-depth ability to undertake superstructure and foundation design to latest Code of Practices.
- Ability to specify common material specifications via NBS create/ Buildings: reinforced concrete, structural steelwork, masonry and timber.
- A hands-on approach to detail design and a good understanding of Eurocodes and current industry standards.
- Ability to speak clearly, confidently, and professionally when dealing with staff, clients and other members of the professional team.
- Ability to write clear and concise e-mails, letters and technical reports.
- Ability to provide mentoring support to design, graduate engineers and junior technicians.
- Ability to undertake independent structural condition survey works.
- Be a team player who contributes to the improvement of the group and who promotes the company values.
You will enjoy a range of benefits including:
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Health cash plan
- Shopping discounts
- Bike to work / tech scheme
- Subsidised social events
- Option to purchase additional holidays
- Annual day off for volunteering/”good causes”
- Employee wellbeing assistance
Clarkebond are committed to equal opportunities in employment.
At Clarkebond we want candidates to feel confident to ask about the flexibility they need. Any candidate who applies for a job with us can ask us about the flexibility at interview. In return, we’ll explore what’s possible. Flexible working will vary depending on a number of factors including the role within the company.